WEB & TRANSLATION ADVICE
How to save text on a web site for reading or editing off-line...
1. Highlight the text you want to save by placing your cursor at the beginning of the text and then, holding down the left button of your mouse, drag your cursor to the end of the text you want to save. Once the text is highlighted, release the left button.
2. Place the cursor on the highlighted text and click the right button on your mouse. A small menu will pop up.
3. Choose 'copy' and click the left button on your mouse.
4. Then open your email program and a new message.
5. Place your cursor in the body of the message and click the 'paste' button. Alternatively, place your cursor in the body of the message and click the right button on your mouse. A small menu will pop up. Choose 'paste' and click the left button on your mouse.
6. Send the email message to yourself. (You can also use this 'copy and paste' procedure to transfer text to a Word document.) BACK
How to put a URL in an email message...
1. Highlight the URL in your address bar.
2. Right click on the highlighted URL. Then left click on 'copy' in the small menu. Alternatively you can click on 'edit' in your tool bar and then on 'copy'.
3. Open an email message, place the cursor in the body of the message and click the 'paste' button. Alternatively, place the cursor in the body of the message, right click, then left click on 'paste' in the small menu. BACK
Virtually all articles and reviews on this site are in their original language. Below is a list of links to sites that provide online machine translators, dictionaries, and other linguistic resources. Bear in mind, that a machine translation, while better than nothing, will give you only a very approximate idea of what the writer was actually 'saying'.
The results can be distorted not only by syntactic complexity and idioms, but also by the limitations of the dictionaries in their data banks. Some words may not be in the dictionary at all and will remain in their original language even in the translation. Further distortion can also come from the fact that many words have multiple meanings, and the dictionary may only hold the most common ones. An example is the Spanish word
agudo which can mean either sharp, high, shrill or acute depending on the context.
The Babelfish translator at Altavista is powered by Systran. It translates to and from English and the major European languages (including Russian).
The Google translator is similar in quality to Babelfish. It does not include Russian but does have beta versions of Japanese, Korean, and simplified Chinese.
Poltran has an online Polish-English machine translator.
Internostrum converts Catalan text into Spanish and vice versa.
Translendium has a Catalan/English machine translator
Mezzofanti provides links to and commentary on a variety of online translators and dictionaries including those for less common languages such as Turkish, Dutch, etc..
WordReference.com has online French, Italian and Spanish Dictionaries which provide principal translations, additional translations, and compound forms for each word - both into and from English.
Godwin Translations has an article about the basic principles of translation with special reference to English and French.
Lingo24.com offers a free Arabic-English and English-Arabic online translator:
An Arabic language paraphrasing tool:
And an English language paraphrasing tool:
Your Dictionary is a great site for links to and advice about language and translating: dictionaries (specialty, multilingual, translation, synonyms etc.); grammars; language identifiers and more.
Links to Further Web Resources
Glossary of Internet Words and Terminology
Search Engine - Google My favourite search engine - fast, comprehensive, thorough and most importantly, relevant. (Google doesn't accept payment for inclusion in their rankings or for improving a site's rank.) It simultaneously searches all the major search engines plus the Open Directory and has access to literally billions of web pages. It even provides html versions of many PDF files. It also has an easy to use 'advanced search' function which allows you to search for an exact phrase, to exclude specific words from the responses, to ask it to find web pages in a specific language, to search for images, etc.
Security - F-Secure This site has extensive and very frequently updated information on viruses and hoaxes.
Building a Website - Homestead Voce di Tenore is hosted by Homestead and is built with their software.
Graphics - Music Graphics Galore A large collection of free icons, clipart, graphics, photos and backgrounds on musical themes.
Site Search Engine - FreeFind The search engine for this site was provided free by FreeFind.com
Make a long URL shorter - TinyUrl Are you sick of posting URLs in emails or on message boards only to have it break when sent causing the recipient to have to cut and paste it back together? This site allows you to convert a long URL to a short one that will not break in email postings.
If you wish to add a graphic link to Voce di Tenore on your site, feel free to use this...
NOTE: VOCE DI TENORE DOES NOT RECEIVE COMPENSATION OF ANY KIND FROM THE SITES LISTED ON THIS PAGE.
Page last updated on: October 28, 2007